Port Au Prince, Haiti

Port Au Prince, Haiti

Friday, August 8, 2014

A Marathon

Mackenzie,
Today was the last day of our game time with the children of Bigarade.  We had a lot of fun playing with them and loving all of them this week.   The girls here like to dance sassy like you.  I couldn't help showing them some of my moves :)

We also taught them some of our games, and they taught us many of theirs.  I can't wait to teach them to you when I get home.


After we played today, we went back to the church to feed the children lunch.  Eating lunch is a very special treat.  The children in Haiti never eat lunch.  There is only enough food for one meal a day.

We had over 200 children to feed.  Victoria and the pastor's wife prepared four large pots of rice and beans.  We prayed it would be enough for every little hungry mouth.


We had all the children sit down and we made an assembly line.  Some of us spooned the rice and beans onto the plate and we passed it down until the last team member placed it in the hands of a hungry child.  I touched every plate we gave today.  And each time, I prayed "Lord, multiply it."  



I was very happy to be able to feed them, but it was also difficult because it makes you think about the many other times that they will go hungry.  The words "Nourish this food to our bodies as well as to our souls" have never been more real to me.


After everyone was served, we sat among them while they ate.  There were 200 children packed into this church balancing a plate of beans and rice on their lap, yet no one spilled their plate.  Not a single child.  And when they were done, there were no half eaten plates to throw away or piles of rice to wipe from the tables.  Every grain was eaten.

Mrs. Billie and I watched as one young boy about six years old fed his small brother being sure that his brother, who was too little to maneuver the spoon, was able to get every last bite.  We sobbed as we watched these hungry children be fed, and we prayed that God would continue to meet their many needs.  A couple of Haitian girls about your age saw Nanna crying and they asked Bob why.  He told them it was because she loved Haiti.

Bob has invited our interpreters to the Children's Home to visit with us this evening.  All of the interpreters he has hired to work with us are followers of Jesus, but many of them have questions about the Bible.  Tonight we are going to spend time discipling them.

I would also like to hear some of their testimonies.  Most Haitians have experienced great loss and suffering.  One of our interpreters lost his 2 year old baby girl to a fever this May.  Bob said he is taking it hard.  But they don't talk about their loss because everyone here has lost someone.  May God bring comfort to this country.

Thomas was very glad when I told him you were able to raise more money for the school last night at your speaking event. He understands how important an education is to these children, and he truly desires every child in Bigarade to have that chance.

Mackenzie, when I come home I won't be the same.  I don't know if I will ever be able to sit in my cool, comfortable home and eat my three meals a day and not think about the children I am leaving behind.  Bob reminded me today that our work here is a marathon, not a sprint.  God has not forsaken them, and if we are willing, He can use us to bring hope to these people.

Thinking of you as we run this race together,
Momma



No comments:

Post a Comment